Do you have dental fear or anxiety? We’re here to help. The Stewart Dental Group in Charlotte, NC offers sedation dentistry to relax patients during dental procedures. Whether you have had a previous negative experience at the dentist or have generalized dental fear, our professional staff have solutions for you. Drs. Randall and Melissa Stewart aim to make patients feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible during treatment, which is why they offer sedation dentistry. Sedation dentistry helps calm patients before and during essential dental treatments. This option makes dental visits pain-free and pleasant for those with dental fear or anxiety. But what are the other benefits of sedation dentistry, and what sedation options do patients have?
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry can offer many benefits to patients who want to feel relaxed during treatment. Sedation dentistry:
- Can provide pain-free dental care
- Can provide anxiety-relief
- Allows dentists to work faster
- Reduces the gag reflex
- Can cause anterograde amnesia (the patient doesn’t remember the surgery)
Sedation dentistry can also benefit patients with the following conditions:
- Patients with dental fear or anxiety
- Those with a poor gag reflex
- Patients with a low tolerance for pain
- Those who need multiple dental treatments in one visit
- Patients with disabilities or movement disorder
- Special needs patients
- Those who have a phobia of needles, blood, or loud noises
There are multiple sedation dentistry options for patients depending on whether they want to be a sleep or conscious during the procedure.
Sedation Dentistry Options
Drs. Stewart offer multiple methods of sedation to help patients get the treatment they need. Before treatment, they will discuss your options with you so you can collaborate on a decision that will work best for your particular needs. Our dentists will also take your budget, goals, and overall oral health into consideration before deciding on a treatment.
- Nitrous oxide: Also known as laugh gas, nitrous oxide is administered through a nasal mask. This solution takes effect quickly and allows patients to remain fully conscious during their dental procedure. Nitrous oxide is also used in conjunction with other types of sedation.
- IV conscious sedation: This type of sedation is administered by IV directly into the bloodstream. Patients will feel so relaxed with this type of sedation they may even fall asleep. However, patients can also remain conscious during treatment but most likely will not remember the procedure.
- General anesthesia: Anesthesia is designed to allow patients to sleep during their treatment. Patients won’t remember anything that happens when they are unconscious under general anesthesia. If you choose this form of sedation you will need a driver to take you to and from your appointment.
Schedule an Appointment Today
If you want to receive the dental care that you’ve been avoiding due to anxiety or fear, call Stewart Dental Group for comprehensive and relaxing care at 704-255-4256. You can also schedule an appointment with Drs. Stewart online here. We aim to create a friendly and relaxing environment, and we hope that our patients feel comfortable in our office.