If you have tooth decay and cavities, visit us for quick and effective dental fillings treatment in Charlotte, NC. Dental fillings can help seal out decay after an infection has been removed from a tooth and the area has been cleaned. We provide comprehensive general dental services for all ages.
Signs of Tooth Decay
There are multiple signs that may arise when tooth decay is present:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Staining on tooth enamel
- Pain when biting or chewing
- Pain when eating hot or cold foods
If you have noticed any of the above signs of tooth decay, call Stewart Dental Group at 704-376-2404 and we will help you set up a dental exam visit. You may need a root canal and dental filling to remove and seal out tooth decay.
Types of Dental Fillings
There are many types of dental fillings that offer different benefits to patients often depending on their placement. Common types of dental fillings include:
- Amalgam Fillings: Also called “silver” fillings, amalgam fillings are the standard filling material. They are durable, easy to apply, and are a great economical option for patients.
- Composite Resin Fillings: Also known as “white” fillings, composite resin fillings are color-matched to existing teeth for a natural-looking and long-lasting restoration. The composite resin material seals teeth and prevents future decay or infection.
- Gold Fillings: Gold fillings are a good option for larger back teeth as they provide a strong biting surface and durability.
- Porcelain Fillings: Porcelain fillings reflect light for a natural-looking and stain-resistant result.
- Inlays and Onlays: Inlays and onlays are made from high-quality ceramic or porcelain and blend in with teeth.
Treatment with Dental Fillings
Decay and any compromised tooth structure will be removed prior to treatment with dental fillings. The chosen filling material will be adhered to and possibly sculpted to teeth. Air abrasion may be used on tooth restorations with composite fillings to help remove decay from teeth without using a dental drill.
Dental Filling FAQs
How many dental fillings is considered normal?
The average American has around three dental fillings. However, one in four Americans has 11 fillings or more. It’s not uncommon to have multiple dental fillings.
How long does a filling take to heal?
You may have sensitivity in the area with the filling for around two to four weeks. If tooth sensitivity lasts for longer than this, call our office for a checkup.
What happens if I don’t have my cavities filled?
Without taking care of your fillings, the tooth decay that causes cavities can spread farther in your tooth. This can lead to an infection in the dental pulp, needing a root canal to take care of. The more advanced the tooth decay, the more difficult it is to treat. The treatment becomes more intensive, more expensive, and more invasive.
Request a Dental Exam Today
Do you think you may have cavities or tooth decay? Call Stewart Dental Group for a cavity screening and treatment today at 704-376-2404, or request an appointment online today. We aim to create a warm and friendly environment for patients when they visit our Charlotte, NC office. Our professional team makes it their mission to provide exceptional dental care for all ages.